Business owners who work in an office environment can appreciate finding ways to cut costs. One way to do this is by choosing the best method of how to dispose of furniture in bulk. Save more money on disposal expenses and repurpose your funds for growing your business.
This not only comes in handy when renovating, relocating, or simply downsizing an office but a home as well. Some common items that could phase out include desks, chairs, and tables. Other items that can be discarded include office cubicles, filing cabinets, and couches.
Whatever furniture you have for disposal make a list of what can be donated and what is damaged beyond repair. From here you can make your decision on the final destination of these items.
The good news is that there are several ways to dispose of furniture, and each has its pros and cons. Take the time to choose from the options below on the best way to dispose of your old furniture so that you don’t end up with hefty fines or a long and cumbersome process.
#1. Rent a Dumpster
One option for removing old office furniture is to rent a roll-off dumpster. A temorary dumpster is typically used for construction projects or home renovations, but it can also be used for large clean-outs, such as an office furniture purge.
Frontier Waste Solutions is your ideal partner in renting a roll-off dumpster in Dallas, Fort Worth, Garland, or anywhere in the DFW Metroplex. We also have inventory all the way through to Southern Texas including San Antonio and Corpus Christi.
Choose your size based on the size of your project:
|Capacity||Length (ft)||Height (ft)||Width (ft)|
How it works
- We ensure that our dumpsters are clean and in good condition before they are delivered to you.
- The dumpster will be delivered to your office or home.
- You can fill it up at your own pace, ensuring that all old furniture is disposed of properly.
- Once you are finished, we will pick up the dumpster and take it to the nearest landfill or recycling center.
- When you’re ready to get rid of the old furniture, simply schedule a time for the dumpster to be delivered to your office.
- Fill it up at your own pace, and then call us to have it picked up and taken away. It’s that easy!
The price to rent a roll-off dumpster will vary based on its size and how long you need it. For instance, a small 20-yard dumpster may cost an average of $450, however, prices range from $270-$690.
- You can take your time filling up the dumpster and don’t have to worry about disposal.
- The process is straightforward and easy to manage.
- A dumpster can hold a large volume of furniture, so it’s ideal for larger projects.
- Flexible rental terms make it easy to find a solution that fits your needs and budget.
- A dumpster is delivered and picked up at any time that’s convenient for you.
- You have to pay for the dumpster rental, which can be expensive depending on the size and duration of the rental.
- Limited space or area on site to place the dumpster, especially in a crowded city.
- You are responsible for disposing of the furniture properly, which means sorting and separating items before placing them in.
- The process can be more time-consuming than a junk removal service, depending on how much furniture you need to get rid of.
#2. Hire a junk removal service
Junk haulers provide an easy solution to get rid of your old office furniture. The company sends a truck and a team of professionals to pick up your furniture from the office. They assess the volume and type of furniture you want to get rid of and give you a quote. If you agree with the quote, they will take away your furniture and dispose of it off properly. Most companies will charge by the hour or the amount of space your furniture takes up in their truck.
Most of these services also offer recycling options wherein they donate your old furniture to charity or recycle it to make new furniture. This is a great option if you want to get rid of your office furniture eco-friendly. Hiring a professional to take care of the job is always a good idea. Not only will they be able to properly dispose of the furniture, but they can also save you time and hassle.
- You don’t have to do any of the work – the company will come to your office, pick up the furniture and dispose of it properly.
- You won’t have to worry about sorting and separating the furniture, as most companies will do that for you.
- It’s a quick and easy solution for smaller projects.
- It is much more expensive for larger projects (price increases per item).
- The initial quote is subject to change when the company arrives.
- You have to be present when the company comes to pick up the furniture.
#3. Place it on the curb
This is probably the easiest way to dispose of furniture if there are only a few items. Depending on your municipal trash service or private hauling company, you can simply leave a few items of furniture at the curb on trash day, and the garbage collectors will take them away. You need to check with your provider as most companies will charge extra or have specific days when this can be done.
If your provider allows you to leave your furniture at the curb, be sure to call and notify them that you will be doing this so they can be prepared. You should also ensure that your furniture is not blocking the sidewalk or street so that it does not create a hazard.
For municipal waste management providers within the DFW Metroplex, you can check the following sites:
- It’s an easy option. Leave the furniture at the curb.
- You don’t have to pay a municipal provider if they come on their bulky trash days.
- Your furniture will likely end up in a landfill, which is not very eco-friendly.
- You have to call your local waste management company to inform them that you’ll be leaving the furniture at the curb.
- When you leave your furniture at the curb, be sure it’s not blocking the sidewalk or street.
#4. DIY drop-off at a local landfill or transfer station.
If you have a truck or van, you can take your office furniture to a local landfill or transfer station to dispose of it. This option involves a little more work on your part, as you will have to load up the furniture and transport it yourself.
Before taking your furniture to the landfill or transfer station, call and ask about their fees and policies. Some landfills might not accept certain types of furniture, and you might have to pay a fee to dispose of it.
- Save money by disposing of the furniture yourself.
- Donate or recycle your furniture instead of throwing it away.
- Total control of how you dispose of your furniture.
- It takes more effort on your part – you have to load up the furniture and transport it yourself.
- You have to pay a fee to dispose of the furniture, depending on the landfill or transfer station.
- You might be unable to dispose of all types of furniture this way.
#5. Leave it with a scrap dealer.
You can leave it with a scrap dealer if you have metal office furniture, such as filing cabinets or desks. Scrap dealers will usually take metal furniture for free and then recycle it. Doing so can prevent your furniture from ending up in a landfill, and you might even make a little bit of money in the process.
Recyclcle your furniture to benefit the environment. It’s better to reuse or repurpose furniture instead of throwing it away. To find a scrap dealer near you, simply search online or ask around at your local hardware store.
- Recycling your furniture is the most eco-friendly option.
- You might be able to make a little bit of money by selling your scrap metal.
- This option is only available for metal furniture.
- You might have to drive further to find places that will take your furniture.
Donation options for gently used, old, or unwanted furniture
Donating surplus, old, and gently used office furniture is a great way to give back to the community and help those in need. Donating your furniture to charity helps others while reducing the amount of waste in landfills. You can donate furniture to local charities or non-profit organizations, and some even partner with local government offices that accept donated furniture at the end of their programs.
If you need to remove some furniture, consider the following options.
- Donate it to a local charity or non-profit organization such as the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
- Contact your local government offices to see if they have any programs in place that accept donated furniture.
- If you have gently used office furniture, consider giving it away online through websites such as Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or Letgo.
- If the furniture is in good condition, but you just don’t need it anymore, consider donating it to a local school, church, or library.
Disposing of unwanted office furniture can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you have many pieces to get rid of. You should first sort your furniture into different categories, such as metal, wooden, donations, recyclable, and trash. This will help you determine which disposal options are available for each category.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have a few options for disposing of an old couch in Dallas. You can schedule a bulk trash pickup with the city, take it to a landfill or transfer station, donate it to a local charity, or sell it online. Usually, the easiest option is to schedule a bulk trash pickup with the city. You can also try posting it on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace to see if anyone is interested in buying it.
You can load furniture into a dumpster by breaking it down into smaller pieces, such as separating the couch cushions from the frame. This will make it easier to fit into the dumpster and will also reduce the risk of injury and the amount of space it takes up. Use a dolly to walk the heaviest furniture first and make sure the items are evenly distributed within the dumpster. Be sure to secure any loose items well below the edge of the dumpster, so they don’t fall out.
If you have a heavy piece of furniture that you need to dispose of, you can contact a junk removal service or request a quote from Frontier Waste Solutions. Both of these services provide a way to remove furniture from your home. Junk haulers are usually more expensive, but they will come into your home to move the furniture for you.
Check our list of what can go in dumpsters. In general, you can mix other items with furniture in a roll-off dumpster as long as they are not hazardous materials. However, it is always best to check with one of our representatives if you’re not sure or want to double-check.
Yes, furniture that contains asbestos (most commonly made in the 1930s-1960s) and lead-based paint are a few of the items that should not be put in a dumpster. These materials can be harmful to the environment and people if they are not disposed of properly. If you have furniture that contains these materials, you should contact a hazardous waste disposal company to dispose of it properly.